Monday 3 October 2011

Aspect Ratio Correction


 
Since I've rebuilt my Home Theatre PC (HTPC) with Windows 7 I've never been able to get the aspect ratio correct for my movies. I have a Panasonic Plasma tv (TH-42PV500A) which is a bit dated now. It still provided us with all the functions we see no need to dispose of it yet.


The table below shows the screen resolution and refresh rate that the TV can support.





This clearly shows that the aspect ratio the is 4:3 (1024/768=1.333) but the screen is physically 16:9 (920/518=1.77). This means that each pixel of the TV is quite short and fat compared to a square of a standard computer monitor.

To fix this I have setup ffdshow tryout with the following settings:
  • Specify horizonal and vertical size of 1024x768
  • Set - resize always
  • Set - process pixel aspect ration internally of 4:3
  • Set - keep original aspect ratio









No comments:

Post a Comment